top of page

Senior Homeowners Can Move Without Paying Higher Property Tax

For many retired seniors, their home is their biggest asset. Downsizing into a smaller home to free up spending cash for a better lifestyle seems like a no-brainer. Yet, the fear of paying a higher monthly property tax keeps many from making the move.

Penny and John Dumke are here to explain to seniors that they CAN move and KEEP their low property tax. But, they must fill out the proper form: Preliminary Change of Ownership (PCOR).

The PCOR is a two-page questionnaire requesting information on the property details, principals involved in the transfer, type of transfer, purchase price and terms of sale, and other pertinent information. This is usually filled out in escrow.

What does this mean? If a homeowner, 55 or older, bought their current house 30 years ago for $175,000 and currently has a property tax of $2,500, they may feel very comfortable with a tax that is just over $200 per month. Their house may very well be worth $700,000 to $800,000 in the current market. It may be tempting to sell and move to a smaller house or condominium but without the PCOR, it could be very costly to move.

If they choose a $500,000 property the property tax might be close to $6,000 a year. That’s $500 a month and quite a disincentive to someone on a fixed income. The PCOR makes it more reasonable because they can buy the new property and continue to pay their old tax amount. They save $3,500 a year, plus they have profits from their sale to augment their income.

When Proposition 60 passed, establishing this benefit, you had to stay in the same county when you moved. But later, Proposition 90 passed allowing the benefit to move with seniors to some other counties. Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego and Ventura along with seven other counties allow cross county PCOR benefits.

Experienced real estate agents or escrow officers like Penny and John Dumke will be able to guide you in this process. The Dumkes have helped countless seniors use these laws to create a better lifestyle for themselves and their families.

Give Penny or John a call at (562) 572-2296 and ask about Prop 60 and PCOR and how it can help YOU!


bottom of page